Our weekly training varies on a weekly basis but follows the general outline below. All abilities are welcome, from WOC athletes to people just starting out.
During semester 1 this is usually a threshold session on the Killing Fields, next to Holyrood Palace. For semester 2 we head onto the hills for some brutal reps that will leave you on the floor. If you want to get fast, Tuesdays are the ones for you. Meet at 18:00 at DVC* ready to run and armed with a headtorch.
Wednesday: Long run.
Meet ready to run at 14:30, DVC before heading onto the Seat for 90 minutes (or however long you’d like) of top notch running and some decent chat. APO, TC, Chicken’s Coop, Purko’s Arete and the legendary MFD** – you can have ’em all on one of these endurance boosting sessions.
Thursday: Technical training.
On the weeks when there is no FWTN we have technique sessions. We try and rotate between urban and forest areas so you can improve all aspects of your orienteering. Fancy a corridor on the Royal Mile or a gaffled mass start on Braids? Meet at DVC at 18:00 (unless otherwise stated) with a head torch and compass ready to run.
We have loads of awesome weekends away during term time, including trips to the Lake District, the Cairngorms and the Moray Coast. These are definitely not to be missed and are often considered one of the best things about our club. In between training / competing there is plenty of time to chill, socialise and eat cake.
Here’s an overview of what we did at 2016/2017:
– 28-30th October: We went to Moray, for some races in a beautiful forest called Culbin, see Andrew’s recap here
– 11-13th November: We went for a weekend of orienteering races in the Lake District, see Tam’s recap here
– 13-15th January: ‘Christmas’ weekend, lots of fun, food and a bit of running! It was amazing, ask anyone who went!
– 18-19th February: We headed up North to Scottish Night and Scottish Sprint champs in Darnaway and Lossiemouth!
– 11-12th March: Pre-BUCS training weekend round Aberfoyle and St Andrews + team bonding :))
– 17-19th March: BUCS BUCS BUCS in Sheffield!! *also known as British University and College Sport Champs* This is the one weekend you absolutely have to go to! Two races, one social, never-ending supply of cake and banter – what more can you ask for? Open to complete beginners too! WE WON! Recap here.
When we’re not heading off away there are usually groups heading out to the Pentlands or the parkrun or something completely different – whatever you want to do, others will too.
Although we don’t have organised sessions on other days there are ALWAYS people around and up for all sorts of training. Long hill run, parkrun, intervals, o-session, a cool race you fancy – you name it, someone will do it with you! Just head over to our Training Page to see what’s going on or ask for someone to run with. In the highly unlikely, practically impossible event that you can’t find your fix on there, take a look to see what our friends the Haries (2nd best running club in Edinburgh 😉 ) are doing.
*”Where’s DVC?” I hear you ask. Here:
**”What about all those strange acronyms??” I’m afraid you’re going to have to come along to find this out; you won’t forget them that’s for sure. If you’re super keen take a look on Strava for a sneak peak.